Columbus Mayor Robert Smith sent a letter to the president of the Lowndes County board of supervisors on April 28, saying he and city councilmen feel a Yorkville Road firing range built with county and city funds should be operated and managed by the city.
Today, in 1862, the Mexican Army defeated an invading French force at the Battle of Puebla. That's why May 5 -- or "Cinco de Mayo" -- was named an official Mexican holiday by then president of Mexico Benito Juarez.
A Columbus man wanted in connection with an April 29 shooting in east Columbus turned himself into authorities Monday.
A request by the city of Columbus for Lowndes County supervisors to reconsider a decision to restructure the local E-911 board of directors has been denied.
A three-car accident on Highway 69 South near All Nations Ministries sent six people to Baptist Memorial-Golden Triangle Hospital on Monday afternoon.
1. Suspect in Wednesday shooting turns himself in COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Photo: Highway 69 wreck COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Why do we celebrate Cinco de Mayo? COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. City wants to operate firing range, supes say 'No' COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Domestic dispute call leads to arson charge STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY