The body of a six-year-old child was pulled from Luxapalila Creek Sunday afternoon following an ATV accident Saturday in which he and his older brother were swept away by the rushing current.
The city's sales tax collections for the month of May were $781,624.11, down $28,075.88 from the $809,699.99 collected in May 2012. That brings the eight-month fiscal year total so far to $4,985,880.44. By this point last year, the city had collected $5,120,771.57.
Landon Boyd has earned a reputation for being a big-game pitcher. In his final game at Trojan Field, Boyd proved he can do damage at the plate, too.
Starkville's 2 percent food and beverage tax returns improved in March, a sign the city's first Restaurant Week helped stimulate the local economy, organizers said.
1. ATV outing at Magby Creek turns tragic, two children feared drowned COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. One child found dead, search continues for brother COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus teen turns himself in for murder COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Suspect sought in morning shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. EMCC's renovation at Lion Hills nears completion COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY