Fred Hisch, of Alabama, waits for road-side assistance on Highway 82 in Lowndes County after running out of gas with his family and their oversized rocket ride traveling behind them Monday.
Lowndes County voters will head to the polls Aug. 26 to decide a $47 million school bond issue and Lowndes County Circuit Clerk Haley Salazar said her office is ready.
The Columbus code enforcement office has worked more than 400 cases this year. Department director Tomarris Jones said that since January, city crews have demolished 11 houses. Five more demolitions are in progress and city workers have also cleaned and mowed a number of overgrown lots, he said.
The Mississippi Attorney General's Office sent a letter to vice mayor Roy A. Perkins on Friday saying it would not provide further comment on a school money issue after aldermen approved the framework for a legal funds transfer in its last regular meeting.
The Starkville Police Department arrested a local man Friday and charged him with numerous counts of sexual crimes against minors.
1. Sunday morning wreck claims three lives COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. 3 die in Lowndes County crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. No-jangles: Starkville Bojangles closes STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Hickman begins his first day as Columbus schools superintendent COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Photo: No fuel, no rocket COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY