March 28, 2011 10:26:00 AM
· Home and church tours, tickets and general info: Columbus Cultural Heritage Foundation antebellum home, garden and church tours, plus special events, March 28-April 9. Tickets and more info: Tennessee Williams Welcome Center, 300 Main St.; 662-328-0222, 662-920-3533, or columbus-ms.org.
· Blues Around the Block kick-off party: Today, 5-8 p.m. on the lawn of the Welcome Center, 300 Main St. Shrimp and catfish poboys by Table of Plenty and live music by Mississippi''s Scott Albert Johnson.
· Tales from the Crypt: March 28, 30; April 1,4,6,8 nightly 7-10 p.m. at Friendship Cemetery. Bring the family to these dramatic re-enactments by Mississippi School for Math and Science students. $4 adults; $2 children. (Please arrive no later than 9 p.m. for the last walking tour.)n Noon Tunes: March 31 and April 7, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at the Welcome Center. Relax with live music and lunch available for purchase.
· 10K run: April 2, 8 a.m., departing from the Welcome Center. Register at runcyclegtr.org.
· Artisans Alley: April 2, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. at the Welcome Center. Handmade period crafts and food available for purchase.
· Mayor''s Unity Picnic: April 2, 5 p.m. at the Columbus Riverwalk; free.
· Carriage rides: April 1, 2, 3, 8, 9. See the historic district from a different perspective.
· Book signings: April 2, 10 a.m. at the Welcome Center, with Barbara Sillery, author of "Hauntings of Mississippi," and April 9, 10 a.m., with Lynne Bryant, author of "Catfish Alley."
· Grilling on the River: April 8 (4-11 p.m.), April 9 (10 a.m.-6 p.m.) Kansas City Barbeque Society-sanctioned competition, food fair, vendors, family fun; free. Donations benefit the Columbus-Lowndes Humane Society.
· Tour of Kitchens: April 9, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Tour three Columbus kitchens, complete with craftsmen on hand and tastings from local restaurants, to benefit the Columbus Girlchoir ($20).
· Antique jewelry show: At White Arches during Pilgrimage tours, presented by Carlton Gorman.
· Double decker bus tours: Inquire at Welcome Center for times. $5 with purchase of a tour ticket; $8 without.
roscoe p. coltrain commented at 3/31/2011 11:51:00 PM:
What, no Poorly Maintained Ditch Tour? No Pothole Excursions? No All You Can Eat Cold Food Outings? No "Rasslin' Wid Da Mayor" Night?
5. SCT's 'Almost, Maine': it's love ... but not quite ENTERTAINMENT