December 15, 2012 6:50:53 PM
The founding record book for the Mississippi Branch of the Huguenot Society Founders of Manakin, Va., established in Columbus, was recently donated to the Local History Department at the Columbus-Lowndes Public Library.
The record book includes a membership roster and minutes from the Society beginning in 1947, when the club was founded, and going up to 1967. The book also includes the name of the members' Huguenot ancestors.
Organized by Sadie P. Hudson on Dec. 4 in the home of Mrs. Otto Kochtitzky, local names listed as founding members include Saunders Billups Carson, Mrs. George Hazard, Mrs. S. L. Hollingsworth, Helen House Pilkinton (Artesia), Katharine Downs, Mrs. J. D. Bateman, Douglas Bateman, Marcella Billups, Bob Hardy, Mrs. Kenneth Gatchell, Baily Hardy, Lucy F. Lindamood, Bessie L. Lincoln, and many more.
The founding membership totaled 47, with five from Alabama, one from Honolulu, one from Missouri and three from Oklahoma. Members from Mississippi lived in cities and towns across the state including Clarksdale, Coffeeville, Greenwood, West Point, Corinth, Jackson, Meridian, Rosedale, Crenshaw and many others.
The Huguenot Society of the Founders of Manakin, Va., was organized on April 17, 1922, in memory of the French Protestant refugees who settled at Manakintown and in the Colony of Virginia prior to 1786.
The Society aims to promote interest in the study of the Huguenots, to collect all existing documents relating to the Manakin Huguenots, and to sponsor Huguenot Memorials for the training of young people in intellectual and spiritual growth and development.
To learn more about the Mississippi Branch of the Huguenot Society Founders of Manakin, Va., write Vernon Davis, secretary, at 403 Seventh St. S., Columbus, MS 39701.
For more information about this donation, contact Mona K. Vance at 662-329-5304 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.