Mark those calendars for downtown holiday events
Special to The Dispatch
October 24, 2009 8:21:00 PM
Knowing it''s not too early to flag dates for the busy holiday season ahead, Main Street Columbus has announced the schedule of special community events taking place downtown during November and December.
- Downtown Open House -- Merchants launch the season with an open house Nov. 6-8. Stores will be open Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. and Sunday from 1 p.m.-5 p.m.
- Holiday Farmers'' Market -- Held at the Hitching Lot Farmers'' Market Saturday, Nov. 21, from 7-10 a.m., this festive market day will showcase the best local arts and crafts, local produce, homemade baked goods, live music and children''s activities.
- Tree Lighting -- Gather at the lot adjacent to the Tennessee Williams Welcome Center on Main Street Friday, Dec. 4, at 6 p.m. for the official lighting of the city tree.
- Wassail Fest -- After the tree lighting, catch the holiday spirit at Wassail Fest from 5-8 p.m. Contenders for the title of best wassail-meister will be serving at downtown locations as part of the many festivities.
- Christmas parade -- The annual parade through downtown Columbus takes place Monday, Dec. 7, at 7 p.m. The theme is "A Hometown Christmas." Decorated floats, musicians and more are part of this holiday tradition for children of all ages. (Deadline to enter the parade is Nov. 23.)
- New Year''s Eve Block Party -- Join friends and neighbors for a community block party, live music and ball drop Thursday, Dec. 31, from 8 p.m.-12:30 a.m. at Leadership Plaza.
For more information on any of these events, including how to participate in the Holiday Farmers'' Market or the Christmas Parade, contact Main Street Columbus, 107 Fifth St. N., 662-328-6305.
printer friendly version | back to top