March 23, 2012 7:12:57 PM
STARKVILLE -- Mississippi State football coach Dan Mullen liked the energy he saw out of the newcomers in their first college practice of their career.
Other than that, the fourth-year head coach didn't see much worthy of importance while the players were in shorts and no pads.
"I think right now there's a lot of adjustment and this is their time coming out and know the offense now, the guys that just redshirted last year," Mullen said. "The second time they're seeing what it's like to learn an offense and learn a defense and apply it on the field."
Here's a couple of notes that The Dispatch MSU Sports Blog picked up on during the first two-hour workout of the spring.
- Junior quarterback Tyler Russell was wearing a protective brace on both knees as a precautionary measure but went through every drill Friday with the first string offense.
"I think he comes out here with confidence and he's been doing this awhile and knows what he's doing," Mullen said. "He's not going to put a lot of pressure on himself."
- Despite still recovering through an achilles injury, Nickoe Whitley did a lot of the walk-through situational drills with the first-team defense and field goal blocking team.
- The first-team defensive line today consisted of Kaleb Eulls, Curtis Virges, Josh Boyd and Shane McCardell. Junior college transfer Denico Autry was on the second-team unit with Preston Smith, Dwayne Cherrington and Devin Jones. True freshman Quay Evans was on the third-string line.
- While Mullen suggested Tuesday only two quarterbacks were on the roster, walk-on Sam Cowart worked the drills with the third-string offense today.
- With Michael Carr having left the program, the kick and punt return units consisted of Derrick Milton, LaDarius Perkins, Jamerson Love, Robert Johnson, Brandon Heavens and Josh Robinson
All of the Dispatch MSU Sports Blog readers: feel free to follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/matthewcstevens for up-to-date Mississippi State coverage.
5. Pulitzer finalist Martin to deliver reading Thursday ENTERTAINMENT