The Dispatch MSU Sports Blog detailed who could be occupying the offices at the Mize Pavilion Photo by: MSU athletics
March 27, 2012 1:31:45 PM
STARKVILLE -The next domino fell Monday afternoon when Murray State University and head coach Steve Prohm signed a contract extension through May 2016 that will pay the first-year coach $300,000 per year.
MSU Director of Athletics Scott Stricklin did not return messages from The Dispatch seeking comment as to the reports Prohm was a candidate for the Bulldogs open position.
Rick Stansbury announced his retirement from the MSU program two weeks ago after 14 years as the head coach of the Mississippi State men's basketball program.
Prohm's new contract leaves him on the latest list of people connected to MSU opening but never interviewed for the position to include Oral Roberts head coach Scott Sutton, Frank Martin.
- Martin, who for the last five years had been the head coach at Kansas State University, has been introduced today as the next coach at the University of South Carolina.
- Despite the denial of reports that a press conference has been scheduled at the University of Illinois, it is clear that Ohio University head coach John Groce is the leading candidate to take over the Fighting Illini program soon.
- The Dispatch MSU Sports Blog has also been told by sources connected to the MSU coaching search that University of Kansas assistant coach Joe Dooley, whose Jayhawks team is in the Final Four in New Orleans, is not being considered for the position.
- Duke University officials have yet to comment on whether either the MSU or Parker Executive Search has approached the school for permission to talk with any of the three Blue Devils assistant coaches (Associate head coach Steve Wojciechowski, assistant coac Chris Collins or assistant coach/former VCU and Oklahoma head coach Jeff Capel.
Also a Monday evening tweet was sent out by Wisconsin Basketball Yearbook editor Mark Miller saying University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee head coach Rob Jeter would be the next head coach at MSU. However, minutes after Miller's tweet, sources inside the coaching search confirmed to The Dispatch those reports were "false" and "not going to happen".
Jeter, 42, played for and coached under Bo Ryan in stops at UW-Platteville and the University of Wisconsin before receiving his first head-coaching opportunity at UWM after Bruce Pearl left the program to take the head coaching job at the University of Tennessee.
Sources close to the Mississippi State coaching search have repeatedly said to The Dispatch MSU Sports Blog the school and the firm are not close to naming a new head coach.
All of the Dispatch MSU Sports Blog readers: feel free to follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/matthewcstevens for up-to-date Mississippi State coverage.
3. The Ups and Downs of Nelson's Pillar BOOK REVIEWS