Will this stadium - Dudy Noble Field - get to host an NCAA Regional this season? It seems unlikely but not impossible for MSU to achieve this week in Hoover at the SEC Tournament. Photo by: MSU athletics
May 23, 2012 11:23:19 AM
HOOVER, Ala. -The Mississippi State University baseball team will go for its fifth consecutive victory against a Top 25 opponent in less than week.
It's this type of momentum that gets fans and even members of the media to beg the question of how high can that take a team like the Bulldogs (35-21) in terms of NCAA postseason play.
MSU has won 14 of their last 19 games counting the SEC Tournament opening 9-1 win over Arkansas Tuesday.
One of the friends of The Dispatch MSU Sports Blog - Mark Etheridge of SEbaseball.com wrote an interesting piece Tuesday afternoon on this topic after No. 24 MSU defeated No. 25 Arkansas (39-18) in the first round of the SEC Tournament in Hoover, Ala.
We suggest you take a look on that feature piece here - http://sebaseball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1368156
I'll have more on this topic in Thursday's edition of the The Dispatch but in the meantime here's a quick cheat sheet to MSU's situation in terms of the NCAA Regional host conversation.
12 Schools are apparent locks to host an NCAA Regional (in order of the latest RPI numbers according to WarrenNolan.com): Florida State (1), Florida (2), UCLA (3), Baylor (4), North Carolina (5), LSU (6), Oregon (7), South Carolina (8), Stanford (9), North Carolina State (10), Texas A&M (11) and Rice (13).
7 Schools that are on the bubble of 4 teams in position to host right now: Virginia (12), Miami (14), Arizona (15), Kentucky (16), Purdue (17), Cal State Fullerton (20), MSU (22)
Here's the resume of Mississippi State:
Record: 35-21, 16-14 in SEC
Record vs. RPI Top 100: 21-19
Mississippi State's case to host a Regional in Starkville would look a lot better if this set of circumstances were to take place this week:
- Virginia loses all three of its pool play games of the 2012 ACC Tournament this week (vs. Clemson, Georgia Tech and North Carolina)
- Kentucky goes 1-2 (0-2 from Wednesday on) in the SEC Tournament (with a loss to Mississippi State in the process)
- Purdue goes 0-2 in the Big Ten Tournament. Although, that would make the Big Ten a guaranteed two-bid league so bubble teams hoping to get a bid (i.e. Georgia and Auburn) would be incredibly unhappy about this.
- Cal State Fullerton loses all three games of a weekend series at Long Beach State
- Arizona loses all three games of a weekend series at Arizona State (who is ineligible for NCAA postseason play based on off-the-field infractions).
All of the Dispatch MSU Sports Blog readers: feel free to follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/matthewcstevens for up-to-date Mississippi State coverage.
3. Black Prairie Blues Festival rocks for 21st year ENTERTAINMENT
5. Community Calendar for the week of August 28, 2016 ENTERTAINMENT