The Mississippi State co-captains are all on the 2013 MSU football media guide.
August 27, 2013 9:43:15 AM
STARKVILLE - Monday afternoon Mississippi State University officials announced the 2013 football captains for the season: seniors Tyler Russell, LaDarius Perkins, Denico Autry and Gabe Jackson.
Sunday night the MSU players selected the captains for the 2013 season in a team vote. The four players selected will represent the Bulldogs in the pre-game coin toss before each game starting with Saturday's season opener vs. No. 13 Oklahoma State at Reliant Stadium in Houston (2:30 p.m., ABC/ESPN2).
- Russell was named to the Davey O'Brien Watch List, given to the nation's best quarterback while Jackson and Perkins were voted to the 2013 preseason All-Southeastern Conference team by the media last month.
Russell broke 11 single-season school records last season as a junior, completing 231 passes for 2,897 yards and 24 touchdowns. The 6-4, 220-pounder currently stands as the school's all-time leader in passing efficiency (136.38), and is only one passing touchdown away from the tying the school record for passing touchdowns (38), held by Derrick Taite (1993-96).
- For the second-straight season, Perkins made the watch list for the Doak Walker Award, given yearly to the nation's top college running
back. Earlier this month, the 5-10, 195-pounder became the first running back in school history named to the Maxwell Award watch list, while also being picked for the Hornung Award watch list, given annually to the nation's most versatile college football player.
- Jackson was named to the Rotary Lombardi Award and Outland Trophy watch lists in July, given to college football's best lineman. He is projected by several media outlets as the top guard prospect in college football for next year's NFL Draft.
- Autry was named 2013 preseason All-SEC by Athlon Sports and Phil Steele. At EMCC two years ago, Autry was a NJCAA All-American and national champion who transferred to MSU and played in all 13 games (10 starts) as a junior the following season. In 2012, Autry recorded a team second-best 9.5 tackles for loss and tied for second on the team with 4.0 sacks to go along with a 27-yard interception on the season.
All of the Dispatch MSU Sports Blog readers: feel free to follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/matthewcstevens for up-to-date Mississippi State coverage.
3. Strange Sex, Familiar Sex BOOK REVIEWS