February 10, 2011 9:52:00 AM
Due to school closures today, Franklin Academy has postponed its 190th birthday celebration until Friday.
Alumni, past teachers and administrators and community members are invited to celebrate the landmark at the state''s oldest public school.
At 9:30 a.m., the Franklin Elementary Medical Sciences and Wellness Magnet School will kick off the festivities with a reading of the school''s history. The school''s music classes will sing choral songs performed when the current building was dedicated in the 1930s. The original school building was built in 1821. A new building was built at the current site in 1886. The current Franklin building was built during the late 1930s, replacing the 1886 facility.
School memorabilia, including scrapbooks, photos and newspaper clippings, will be on display for the event.
Past students, staff and principals, and anyone who was involved with the school, was encouraged to attend.
1. Lee Middle deal possibly a month away COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Innovation Challenge gives young entrepreneurs a head start STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. CAFB air show reduced to one day COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. A house to love: The Haven, historic downtown home, passes to new ownership COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Future of Ryan's uncertain COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY