February 10, 2011 9:52:00 AM
Due to school closures today, Franklin Academy has postponed its 190th birthday celebration until Friday.
Alumni, past teachers and administrators and community members are invited to celebrate the landmark at the state''s oldest public school.
At 9:30 a.m., the Franklin Elementary Medical Sciences and Wellness Magnet School will kick off the festivities with a reading of the school''s history. The school''s music classes will sing choral songs performed when the current building was dedicated in the 1930s. The original school building was built in 1821. A new building was built at the current site in 1886. The current Franklin building was built during the late 1930s, replacing the 1886 facility.
School memorabilia, including scrapbooks, photos and newspaper clippings, will be on display for the event.
Past students, staff and principals, and anyone who was involved with the school, was encouraged to attend.
1. Columbus man dies in head-on crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Aldermen pass amended alcohol ordinance STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Area students check out college options COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Princess owner plans to reopen theater COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Human remains discovered on banks of Tenn-Tom COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY