February 11, 2011 10:28:00 AM
A Lowndes County man is charged with raping a woman Thursday night while armed with a pistol.
Marcel Heustus Pilate, 48, of 150 Roan Oak Circle in Lowndes County, allegedly forced himself on a female companion after the two had been drinking together.
Columbus police were called to 215 Burns Circle, also listed as a residence for Pilate, shortly before 11:30 p.m. Thursday. The victim told officers Pilate grabbed her by the throat and raped her after she denied his sexual advances. She knew Pilate had a gun, but it''s unclear whether the weapon played a role in the assault.
Pilate was arrested at the Burns Circle home without incident. A .38 caliber pistol was confiscated.
No bond or court date has been set for Pilate, who remains in custody charged with rape.
n Earlier Thursday night, Martez Ferguson, 21, of 7124 Gilmer Wilburn Road in Columbus, was arrested and charged with carrying a concealed weapon.
Ferguson had been spotted with a weapon earlier in the evening. When confronted by police, he notified them of a .25 caliber handgun in his jacket pocket. The gun was loaded but did not have a round chambered.
A search of Ferguson also revealed a small bag of marijuana and an herb grinder.
Ferguson''s bond was set at $447 for the charge of carrying a concealed weapon. Drug charges are pending.
1. Delta crash response: 'A somber, purpose-driven' mood COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Wiggins wins Caledonia by one vote COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Second Baptist feud over construction intensifies STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. House built by and for freed slaves for sale in Columbus COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Property swap may be option for Southside project COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY