February 21, 2011 10:29:00 AM
A Mississippi State University student died in a one-vehicle wreck Saturday night on Locksley Way.
According to Starkville police, Matthew Elliot Johnson, 20, of Olive Branch, was driving a white 2004 Honda Accord east on Locksley Way when the vehicle left the roadway and collided with a wooden fence. The vehicle then came to a rest in a field just west of the Mississippi State School of Veterinary Medicine.
Johnson was pronounced dead at the scene from severe blunt force trauma to the head, which occurred when a wooden fence plank penetrated the vehicle, police said. Two passengers in the vehicle, a male and female, who police only identified as fellow Mississippi State students, were not seriously injured.
The accident remains under investigation by the Starkville Police Department''s accident reconstruction team. No additional details on the wreck were available as of press time.
1. Two arrested for capital murder in weekend homicide COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. CAFB parents jailed for neglect of 7-week-old child COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Lowndes County sportsplex gets green light COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Capital murder suspects denied bond COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. CLW weighs offering phone, internet service COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY