March 4, 2011 9:28:00 AM
PONTOTOC - A Pontotoc County man has been indicted in the death of a neighbor attacked by pit bulls.
A special grand jury returned the indictment of manslaughter Wednesday against Casey Swanson. The charge stems from the death of 51-year-old Ronnie Waldo.
Prosecutors say Waldo and a friend were repairing a hot water heater on Jan. 26 when Waldo walked next door to Swanson''s house to retrieve a part for the appliance and was attacked.
The indictment alleges that Swanson allowed the dogs to roam free, even though he knew they were violent.
Prosecutors say Sawnson was charged as a habitual offender because of previous burglary and larceny convictions.
Swanson has defended his dogs'' actions and said that all but one were confined.
1. Man arrested for walking onto field during Egg Bowl STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. CVB purchases Elks Club COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Bell ringers and Angel Trees: Volunteers and donations still needed by Salvation Army COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Supervisors donate land for new Communiversity site COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. For Amos, a goodbye to drug court COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY