March 4, 2011 9:28:00 AM
PONTOTOC - A Pontotoc County man has been indicted in the death of a neighbor attacked by pit bulls.
A special grand jury returned the indictment of manslaughter Wednesday against Casey Swanson. The charge stems from the death of 51-year-old Ronnie Waldo.
Prosecutors say Waldo and a friend were repairing a hot water heater on Jan. 26 when Waldo walked next door to Swanson''s house to retrieve a part for the appliance and was attacked.
The indictment alleges that Swanson allowed the dogs to roam free, even though he knew they were violent.
Prosecutors say Sawnson was charged as a habitual offender because of previous burglary and larceny convictions.
Swanson has defended his dogs'' actions and said that all but one were confined.
1. 'Stan the Man' retires COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Boys and Girls Club ready for first off-site program COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Consultant brings fresh eyes to short-staffed CPD COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. 2 MSU employees apply for Turner's school board seat STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Dead bald eagle found in Columbus appears to have been shot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY