March 4, 2011 9:28:00 AM
PONTOTOC - A Pontotoc County man has been indicted in the death of a neighbor attacked by pit bulls.
A special grand jury returned the indictment of manslaughter Wednesday against Casey Swanson. The charge stems from the death of 51-year-old Ronnie Waldo.
Prosecutors say Waldo and a friend were repairing a hot water heater on Jan. 26 when Waldo walked next door to Swanson''s house to retrieve a part for the appliance and was attacked.
The indictment alleges that Swanson allowed the dogs to roam free, even though he knew they were violent.
Prosecutors say Sawnson was charged as a habitual offender because of previous burglary and larceny convictions.
Swanson has defended his dogs'' actions and said that all but one were confined.
1. Spears: CMSD tax hike unnecessary COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Higgins: $150 million project eying Lowndes Port COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. CPD officer involved in fight to go before city council COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. MSU horticulture student gains experience at Smith Landscaping COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Two sessions planned on proposed tax increases COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY