March 4, 2011 9:28:00 AM
PONTOTOC - A Pontotoc County man has been indicted in the death of a neighbor attacked by pit bulls.
A special grand jury returned the indictment of manslaughter Wednesday against Casey Swanson. The charge stems from the death of 51-year-old Ronnie Waldo.
Prosecutors say Waldo and a friend were repairing a hot water heater on Jan. 26 when Waldo walked next door to Swanson''s house to retrieve a part for the appliance and was attacked.
The indictment alleges that Swanson allowed the dogs to roam free, even though he knew they were violent.
Prosecutors say Sawnson was charged as a habitual offender because of previous burglary and larceny convictions.
Swanson has defended his dogs'' actions and said that all but one were confined.
1. West Point PD makes third arrest in August altercation COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Lowndes awaits same-sex marriage ruling COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus stabbing leaves one in hospital COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Younger claims Dist. 17 runoff COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Mill development on pace for June completion STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY