March 4, 2011 9:28:00 AM
PONTOTOC - A Pontotoc County man has been indicted in the death of a neighbor attacked by pit bulls.
A special grand jury returned the indictment of manslaughter Wednesday against Casey Swanson. The charge stems from the death of 51-year-old Ronnie Waldo.
Prosecutors say Waldo and a friend were repairing a hot water heater on Jan. 26 when Waldo walked next door to Swanson''s house to retrieve a part for the appliance and was attacked.
The indictment alleges that Swanson allowed the dogs to roam free, even though he knew they were violent.
Prosecutors say Sawnson was charged as a habitual offender because of previous burglary and larceny convictions.
Swanson has defended his dogs'' actions and said that all but one were confined.
1. Man killed in Thanksgiving shooting outside Trotter COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Slimantics: 110-year-old poster a memento of legendary MSU-Ole Miss game COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Council suspends CPD officer COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Man arrested for sex with 13-year-old STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Getting back to normal: One of MSU's most recognizable faces opens up about his fight with cancer STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY