April 5, 2011 10:12:00 AM
A family feud led to a shooting Sunday afternoon in Maben.
Jason Lashawn Jones, 32, of 442 Posey St. in Eupora, was shot in the arm shortly before 5 p.m. on Roosevelt Street. Tensions were reportedly high between his family and the family of alleged shooter Ricky Lamar Wofford, 24, of 78 Roosevelt St.
"It''s been an ongoing situation since last month," said Maben Police Officer Calvin Robinson. "Those families have been getting into it."
Although Jones lives in Eupora, his family lives near Wofford''s in Maben.
The shooting occurred as Jones was driving down Roosevelt Street with a family member driving either in front of or behind his car. A brick was thrown by someone within a group of people, striking Jones'' relative''s car. Jones got out of his vehicle to confront the crowd and an argument ensued, during which shots were fired.
Robinson said "chaos" ensued, with members of Jones'' family confronting members of Wofford''s family. Oktibbeha County and Webster County sheriff''s deputies were called to the scene to control the crowd.
As of Monday, Wofford was being held in the Oktibbeha County Jail with no bond. Jones'' condition is unknown.
1. Old Hickory grill man does it for the love COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Jeb Bush to attend Egg Bowl STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Oktibbeha man dies in weekend wreck STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Carleton joins Oxford police force COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Vasquez murder: Vasquez's family responds to Martinez's release COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY