April 22, 2009
The contents of this article have been modified since its original posting.
STARKVILLE -- Two juveniles and a 20-year-old have been arrested for robbing a Mississippi State University student Monday night on Sorority Row.
A Mississippi State coed was parking her car about 8:30 p.m. when she was approached by one of the robbers and struck in the face, MSU Police Department Chief Georgia Lindley said. The robber took the student''s purse, then the suspects fled, Lindley said.
No weapons were used, and the victim wasn''t seriously hurt, Lindley said.
The student was able to provide a description of the suspects -- two black males and one black female -- and their vehicle, to police.
The MSU Police Department then worked through the night with the Starkville Police Department and the Oktibbeha County Sheriff''s Department to make the arrests.
"It was a long effort," Lindley said. "It took several hours, but we were able to identify the suspects and make the arrests."
Both juveniles, whom police did not identify, will be charged as adults with one count each of robbery. The 20-year-old, Preston Harris, of Starkville, is charged with robbery, as well. Lindley said all three suspects were "local."
The victim didn''t know the suspects, Lindley said. Additional details could be released at a later time; the investigation is ongoing.
"We''re still investigating and still taking statements from people," Lindley said. "It''s still an active investigation."
1. Affidavits: West Point man allegedly bound male victim, raped female STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Area high school students earn national scholarships COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Former coach pleads guilty to sex crime with student COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Weyerhaeuser to sell Columbus mills COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. 'Music 4 U' launching in Miss. this month COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY