April 28, 2011 6:13:00 AM
PEARL - The Mississippi Emergency Management Agency has now received confirmation of 32 storm related deaths and more than 120 injuries from severe weather that moved through the state Tuesday morning through last night. There are also initial reports from 50 counties across the state and the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians of more than 230 homes and 20 businesses damaged. Damage assessments are still ongoing.
While 32 deaths have been confirmed, local officials have reported that the number may rise.
Deaths reported by county:
Chickasaw: three deaths, 16 injuries.
Choctaw: one death.
Clarke: four deaths, 30 injuries.
Jasper: two deaths.
Kemper: three deaths.
Lafayette: one death.
Marshall: one death.
Monroe: thirteen deaths, 40 injuries.
Pike: one death.
Smith: one death.
Webster: one death.
Yazoo: one death.
MEMA will continue to provide additional reports as information becomes available.
For more information, visit us online at www.msema.org. You can also follow us on Twitter and Facebook using the keyword MSEMA.
1. Arrest made in Jack's restaurant case COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Columbus High lockdown lifted after CPD calls off search for suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Locals at inauguration: 'Just wonderful' COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Two arrested in weekend robbery, car chase COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Human resources recruiter enters Starkville mayoral race as a Democrat STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY