May 3, 2011 12:47:00 PM
A 46-year-old man was Tased by police Monday in Columbus Municipal Court after he allegedly punched a bailiff in the eye and fought officers.
Wearing dark sunglasses and smelling of alcohol, Leonard Cureton walked to the front of the Municipal Complex courtroom shortly before 7 p.m. and stood there before the judge with his hands over his head.
After ignoring several commands to step back into the public area, Cureton -- whose last known residence was 313 1/2 15th Ave. S. -- punched the approaching bailiff several times in the face and grabbed him around the neck, according to Columbus police.
Officers said they Tased the defendant because he was fighting them as they tried to handcuff him.
Paramedics at the scene declined to transport the still-combative Cureton, who was taken to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle by police.
The bailiff, whose name was not released by police, was not seriously injured.
Cureton, who was not scheduled to appear in court Monday, has a long history of run-ins with police, including two felony arrests already this year for robbery and felony malicious mischief.
usarover commented at 5/4/2011 2:45:00 PM:
"Cureton, who was not scheduled to appear in court Monday, has a long history of run-ins with police, including two felony arrests already this year for robbery and felony malicious mischief."
why is this guy still free and not already locked up?
roscoe p. coltrain commented at 5/7/2011 5:54:00 AM:
Bekaus he gots rights so the rest of us'ns just haf to put up wid him. Ax him about it. He'll conversate wid jou bout it.
1. Sweet Adeline: Child's future hangs in balance as Columbus family awaits liver transplant COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Man gets life sentences for kidnapping, sexual battery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Petition calls for Baptist to reinstate privileges for longtime OBGYN COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Luckett resigning from SOCSD school board STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Man charged for striking Starkville officer STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY