May 5, 2011 8:33:00 AM
BUTLER, Ala. - Sanderson Plumbing Products is closing its plant in Butler and laying off the plant''s 50 remaining employees.
The toilet seat maker, based in Columbus, Miss., has told town officials the plant may reopen.
Sanderson, which sells toilet seats under the Beneke and Magnolia brands, did not return phone calls Wednesday. A layoff notice posted with the state said Tuesday was the last day for employees.
Butler Mayor Ben Smith says that at one point, the company had more than 100 employees, but cut back because of declining demand from homebuilders.
Smith says Sanderson has a 15-year lease-purchase agreement on the building and is continuing to make its payments.
1. McDill, popular artist and craftsman, dies at 33 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. UPDATE: Boykin files suit against Columbus COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Downtown shooting injures one COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Turner responds to lawsuit claims COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. CPD honors life-saving officers COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY