May 5, 2011 8:33:00 AM
BUTLER, Ala. - Sanderson Plumbing Products is closing its plant in Butler and laying off the plant''s 50 remaining employees.
The toilet seat maker, based in Columbus, Miss., has told town officials the plant may reopen.
Sanderson, which sells toilet seats under the Beneke and Magnolia brands, did not return phone calls Wednesday. A layoff notice posted with the state said Tuesday was the last day for employees.
Butler Mayor Ben Smith says that at one point, the company had more than 100 employees, but cut back because of declining demand from homebuilders.
Smith says Sanderson has a 15-year lease-purchase agreement on the building and is continuing to make its payments.
1. Starkville moms embark on project that looks through the lens of autism STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. CPD investigates northside shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Former CIA operative urges citizen engagement COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. One killed, one severely injured in house fire COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. After nearly disappearing, local meth arrests make comeback COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY