May 5, 2011 8:33:00 AM
BUTLER, Ala. - Sanderson Plumbing Products is closing its plant in Butler and laying off the plant''s 50 remaining employees.
The toilet seat maker, based in Columbus, Miss., has told town officials the plant may reopen.
Sanderson, which sells toilet seats under the Beneke and Magnolia brands, did not return phone calls Wednesday. A layoff notice posted with the state said Tuesday was the last day for employees.
Butler Mayor Ben Smith says that at one point, the company had more than 100 employees, but cut back because of declining demand from homebuilders.
Smith says Sanderson has a 15-year lease-purchase agreement on the building and is continuing to make its payments.
1. Dead bald eagle found in Columbus appears to have been shot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. 'Stan the Man' retires COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Boys and Girls Club ready for first off-site program COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Consultant brings fresh eyes to short-staffed CPD COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. 2 MSU employees apply for Turner's school board seat STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY