May 5, 2011 8:33:00 AM
BUTLER, Ala. - Sanderson Plumbing Products is closing its plant in Butler and laying off the plant''s 50 remaining employees.
The toilet seat maker, based in Columbus, Miss., has told town officials the plant may reopen.
Sanderson, which sells toilet seats under the Beneke and Magnolia brands, did not return phone calls Wednesday. A layoff notice posted with the state said Tuesday was the last day for employees.
Butler Mayor Ben Smith says that at one point, the company had more than 100 employees, but cut back because of declining demand from homebuilders.
Smith says Sanderson has a 15-year lease-purchase agreement on the building and is continuing to make its payments.
1. 30-plus employers to recruit at job fair COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Would-be CPD officer popped for DUI, other charges COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Deputies seek man who wielded AR-15 rifle at park COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Granting excellence STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Mickens takes on ex-opponent during town hall COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY