February 2, 2009
PICKENS COUNTY, Ala. -- David Todd Stephens, 32, of Gordo, Ala., was arrested in Pickens County by the Alabama Bureau of Investigation and charged with capital murder in the death of his former wife, Tonya Luann Stephens, 30, of Moundville.
Although Moundville is in Hale County, prosecutors decided to move the case to Pickens County.
"The decision to move the case from Hale County to Pickens County was a joint decision between my office and the office of the Hale County District Attorney," said 24th Judicial Circuit District Attorney Chris McCool. "Although, for obvious reasons I cannot comment on the evidence, this decision was based upon the evidence we know at this time. We all agree the venue in this case is more appropriate here."
Pickens County is included in the district McCool serves.
Stephens arrest was the result of the cooperation of several Alabama agencies including the Alabama Bureau of Investigation, the Gordo Police Department, the Pickens County Sheriff''s Office, the Moundville Police Department, the Fayette Police Department, the 24th Judicial Circuit Drug/Violent Crime Task Force, the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences, the District Attorney''s Criminal Investigation Division, the Gordo Volunteer Fire Department, the Kirk Fire Department and the Pickens County coroner''s office.
Stephens is being held without bond in the Pickens County Jail. If convicted, he faces the death penalty or life without parole.
Diane Stricklin Alverson commented at 2/2/2009 11:31:00 PM:
Thank You for arresting him. After what he did, he doesn't deserve to walk on the outside. Life without parole is to good for him. A cousin! GOD BLESS YOU, TONYA---rest in peace! My heart goes out for you, Jodie and Aunt Betty Love you, Punkin
1. Air Force Base receives best-ever inspection rating in 2017 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Courage and class: New Hope teacher uses her breast cancer fight to impart life lessons COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Winning Market Street artist overcomes heavy odds COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Starkville works to improve cash monitoring after Parks embezzlement STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Tabernacle shooting suspect nabbed in Tennessee COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY