May 23, 2011 10:37:00 AM
A Starkville man is charged with leaving the scene of a Saturday accident in Oktibbeha County which killed an 11-year-old boy and injured two others.
Curtis Chandler, 42, of 18 Canal St., is charged with manslaughter, felony DUI -- third offense, two
felony counts of aggravated DUI, driving with a suspended driver''s license and leaving the scene of an accident with injuries. The accident is under investigation by the Oktibbeha County Sheriff''s Office and Mississippi Highway Patrol. At press time Chandler was in custody at the Oktibbeha County Jail awaiting bond.
The 11-year-old boy, who has not been identified, was injured along with a 12-year-old girl and Angelia Gandy, 39, was flown to the University Medical Center in Jackson in critical condition. Another 15-year-old occupant was treated at OCH Regional Medical Center for minor injuries.
At approximately 3 p.m. Saturday, the green 1995 Toyota 4-Runner Chandler was driving left Oktoc Road near Chapel Hill Road. The vehicle overturned several times, ejecting two juveniles, before coming to rest against a fence.
1. Columbus man dies in head-on crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Lowndes supes OK budget with deficit, tax increase COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Area students check out college options COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Human remains discovered on banks of Tenn-Tom COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Bucket-list rides STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY