May 1, 2009
STARKVILLE -- Matthew Gatewood, 18, a Mississippi State University freshmen civil engineering major from Clinton, collapsed suddenly Thursday night in his campus residence hall and was rushed to Oktibbeha County Hospital, where shortly thereafter he was pronounced dead.
MSU police officers responded at approximately 9 p.m. to a 911 call and immediately began CPR. Gatewood was transported to OCH, where he was declared dead at approximately 9:45 p.m. No cause is known at this time.
"This is a great tragedy for a very promising young man and an outstanding student, and it is a great loss to the Bulldog family," said Bill Kibler, vice president for student affairs. "We grieve with Matthew''s family and friends, and we extend the sympathy and support of the entire MSU family."
A member of the Shackouls Honors College, Gatewood maintained a perfect 4.0 grade point average during his first year at Mississippi State.
1. Convictions for police officer defendants rare COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. New Columbus Arts Council director looks for more long-term donations COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. The Book of Joe: LINK CEO Higgins enlists ghostwriter to work on book project COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Columbus police nab one suspect, search for another in Saturday armed robbery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Officials respond to voting concerns at Union precinct COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY