September 19, 2011 8:19:00 AM
JACKSON, Miss. (AP) -- Top lawmakers meet this week to start planning how Mississippi will spend tax dollars during the budget year that begins next July 1.
The Joint Legislative Budget Committee holds public meetings Monday through Thursday in the Woolfolk state office building in downtown Jackson.
The 14-member committee is scheduled to hear Monday from university leaders, among others.
All 122 House members and 52 senators will get to vote on details of a budget next spring, if they remain on schedule during their four-month session from January through early May.
A new governor will get to sign or veto the spending plan.
1. CPD officer suspended for Facebook posts COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Building hope: World Changers mission takes on 14 projects in Lowndes Co. COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Lincoln collection lands at MSU STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Phelps retiring from OCEMA, constable positions STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Fireworks on the Water set for July 1 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY