September 19, 2011 8:19:00 AM
JACKSON, Miss. (AP) -- Top lawmakers meet this week to start planning how Mississippi will spend tax dollars during the budget year that begins next July 1.
The Joint Legislative Budget Committee holds public meetings Monday through Thursday in the Woolfolk state office building in downtown Jackson.
The 14-member committee is scheduled to hear Monday from university leaders, among others.
All 122 House members and 52 senators will get to vote on details of a budget next spring, if they remain on schedule during their four-month session from January through early May.
A new governor will get to sign or veto the spending plan.
1. Child dies in morning blaze COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Four have qualified for Dist. 17 seat COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus man arrested for Friday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. West Nile case confirmed in Lowndes COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Wal-Mart Markets opening in Miss. BUSINESS