September 19, 2011 8:19:00 AM
JACKSON, Miss. (AP) -- Top lawmakers meet this week to start planning how Mississippi will spend tax dollars during the budget year that begins next July 1.
The Joint Legislative Budget Committee holds public meetings Monday through Thursday in the Woolfolk state office building in downtown Jackson.
The 14-member committee is scheduled to hear Monday from university leaders, among others.
All 122 House members and 52 senators will get to vote on details of a budget next spring, if they remain on schedule during their four-month session from January through early May.
A new governor will get to sign or veto the spending plan.
1. Sweet Adeline: Child's future hangs in balance as Columbus family awaits liver transplant COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Petition calls for Baptist to reinstate privileges for longtime OBGYN COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Cannizaro out as MSU baseball coach STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Man gets life sentences for kidnapping, sexual battery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Luckett resigning from SOCSD school board STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY