September 26, 2011 8:20:00 AM
ABERDEEN, Miss. (AP) -- An autopsy shows that complications from a gunshot wound to the abdomen is the cause of death of a Tennessee man whose body was found in Monroe County on Friday.
County Coroner Alan Gurley tells the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal that Stephen Cronk likely would have survived had he sought medical treatment.
Mt. Juliet, Tenn., police, say an 18-year-old woman was abducted at gunpoint by Cronk. Cronk then drove to Aberdeen, where he rented a hotel room and forced the victim to perform sexual acts.
The victim grabbed Cronk's handgun when he became distracted. She fired once, striking Cronk in the stomach. He fled and the victim barricaded herself in the room and called 911.
Cronk was found dead inside his vehicle at a gas station in Hamilton, Miss.
Copyright 2011 The Associated Press.
1. Story of Columbus teen on death row airs on Headline News COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. A house to love: The Haven, historic downtown home, passes to new ownership COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Future of Ryan's uncertain COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Restaurant tax: Smith, Younger agree on reducing restaurant tax floor COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. SFD investigating Walmart fire as arson STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY