September 25, 2011 1:32:00 AM
The Mississippi Governor's School is accepting applications for the 2012 session from current 10th and 11th grade students enrolled in accredited Mississippi high schools.
MGS will be held on the campus of Mississippi University for Women June 3-22. The theme for the session is Leading with Vision.
The Mississippi Governor's School is a residential honors program established in 1981 by Gov. William F. Winter and the faculty and administration at MUW. MGS is designed to provide academic, creative and leadership experiences for a limited number of rising high school juniors and seniors who have demonstrated exceptional ability and achievement in academics and community involvement and who show high intellectual, creative and leadership potential.
Each summer, MGS brings together learners of high ability from across the state of Mississippi for a three-week residential collegiate experience that blends cultural, academic, social and recreational components into a rich and natural learning environment. The community of interaction created by the program inspires the love of learning, discovery of self and the desire to use gifts and talents to improve society.
Since its establishment, MGS has provided approximately 4,100 students from across the state of Mississippi with a high quality educational experience that has challenged them to grow as individuals. MGS is funded by the Mississippi Legislature, and there is no charge to the scholars to attend.
Application materials are available at muw.edu/govschool.
Applications should be postmarked by Jan. 20, 2012. For more information, call 662-241-6096 or email govschool muw.edu.
1. CRA distances itself from Realtor's 'threatening' letters to Burns Bottom property owners COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Developer agrees to purchase Lee for $450K COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Dispatch earns 16 Press Association awards COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. 'This is a place for miracles': Church formerly on the brink of condemnation celebrates fresh start STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Greco joins Dispatch as government reporter COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY