May 11, 2009
A Saturday charity walk will benefit the Blair Faulkner Veteran''s Memorial Endowment at the Palmer Home for Children.
The program, sponsored by the Luna Moms Club and Mothers of Preschoolers of the Golden Triangle, begins at 10 a.m. at Columbus Air Force Base; registration begins at 9 a.m.
The endownment was created in honor of Maj. Blair Faulkner, 43rd Flying Training Squadron instructor pilot, who died April 23, 2008, during flight exercises at Columbus Air Force Base. 2nd Lt. Matthew Emmons, of the Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training class, also was killed in the crash after the T-38C Talon training aircraft the two were piloting collided with the base''s runway.
The crash marked the first fatal CAFB aircraft-related death in more than 24 years.
While there have been six CAFB plane crashes since then -- three of which involved T-38s -- none were fatal.
The goal of Saturday''s walk is to raise $10,000 for the endowment; thus far Luna and MOPS have raised more than $5,000 dollars.
For more information or to preregister for the event, please contact either Lindsey Stimets at email@example.com or 662-570-1587 or Lindsy Lassere at firstname.lastname@example.org or 662-497-0956.
The event is open to the public; participants from outside the Columbus Air Force Base community must preregister.
On the Web: Give online at http://www.firstgiving.com/faulknerwalk.
1. Cattleman's: Open for business COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Benefit for father-son crash victims this weekend COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus remembers Jimmy Garton, a man of many titles COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Demonstration school seeks statewide impact STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Romney speaks at MSU, still undeclared for 2016 STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY