May 11, 2009
A Saturday charity walk will benefit the Blair Faulkner Veteran''s Memorial Endowment at the Palmer Home for Children.
The program, sponsored by the Luna Moms Club and Mothers of Preschoolers of the Golden Triangle, begins at 10 a.m. at Columbus Air Force Base; registration begins at 9 a.m.
The endownment was created in honor of Maj. Blair Faulkner, 43rd Flying Training Squadron instructor pilot, who died April 23, 2008, during flight exercises at Columbus Air Force Base. 2nd Lt. Matthew Emmons, of the Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training class, also was killed in the crash after the T-38C Talon training aircraft the two were piloting collided with the base''s runway.
The crash marked the first fatal CAFB aircraft-related death in more than 24 years.
While there have been six CAFB plane crashes since then -- three of which involved T-38s -- none were fatal.
The goal of Saturday''s walk is to raise $10,000 for the endowment; thus far Luna and MOPS have raised more than $5,000 dollars.
For more information or to preregister for the event, please contact either Lindsey Stimets at firstname.lastname@example.org or 662-570-1587 or Lindsy Lassere at email@example.com or 662-497-0956.
The event is open to the public; participants from outside the Columbus Air Force Base community must preregister.
On the Web: Give online at http://www.firstgiving.com/faulknerwalk.
1. Inmate dies at Lowndes County jail COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. One dead after downtown Columbus shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Slimantics: 110-year-old poster a memento of legendary MSU-Ole Miss game COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Restaurant tax: CVB offers compromise on 2-percent tax COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. A truly multi-purpose playground COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY