February 4, 2009
STARKVILLE -- The Starkville school board Monday approved the calendar that will guide them as they begin to develop the 2009-10 budget. Superintendent James Covington had no words of comfort about what they can expect or how much funding will be available.
"We have to be very strategic when planning next year''s budget," Covington said.
He said they may have to make some classes larger to avoid hiring more teachers or replacing those lost naturally to attrition. He also said the district may have to rely more heavily on distance learning opportunities for their students.
1. Dead bald eagle found in Columbus appears to have been shot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. 'Stan the Man' retires COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Boys and Girls Club ready for first off-site program COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Consultant brings fresh eyes to short-staffed CPD COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. 2 MSU employees apply for Turner's school board seat STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY