February 4, 2009
STARKVILLE -- The Starkville school board Monday approved the calendar that will guide them as they begin to develop the 2009-10 budget. Superintendent James Covington had no words of comfort about what they can expect or how much funding will be available.
"We have to be very strategic when planning next year''s budget," Covington said.
He said they may have to make some classes larger to avoid hiring more teachers or replacing those lost naturally to attrition. He also said the district may have to rely more heavily on distance learning opportunities for their students.
1. Lee Middle deal possibly a month away COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Innovation Challenge gives young entrepreneurs a head start STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. A house to love: The Haven, historic downtown home, passes to new ownership COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Future of Ryan's uncertain COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. CAFB air show reduced to one day COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY