May 14, 2009
ABERDEEN -- The Aberdeen School District has selected Chester Leigh to be its new superintendent. Currently the principal of Aberdeen Middle School, Leigh will replace Superintendent George Gilreath, who resigned his position, effective June 30, after little more than a year at the helm of the school system.
Gilreath says he submitted his resignation to the board and will work hard to make the transition to a new superintendent go smoothly.
He says the decision will allow him to be closer to his family in the Brandon area. Gilreath''s wife still works in Rankin County as a central office administrator for the Rankin County School District. Gilreath replaced longtime Aberdeen Superintendent Dr. Lavon Fluker-Reed, who retired last year.
Gilreath said he plans to spend his time doing consulting and training work for the state department.
Chatara Gathings commented at 5/21/2009 12:46:00 PM:
Mr.Leigh has been my principle since 4 and 5 grade and I`m so proud that he is going to be our superintendent. I`m now going to school in Tupelo, but if things go as plan i will be back in Aberdeen School. So take care Mr.Leigh!!!
1. Local pilot gets 10 months in British jail for alcohol COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Mother of downtown shooting suspect jailed for allegedly threatening witness COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. City: Law supports slashing businesses' hours COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Hitting the road: Bulldog fans pour into OKC for tonight's Sweet 16 matchup against Washington STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Bond denied for O-Kay Foods shooting suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY