December 20, 2011 12:20:00 PM
OXFORD -- A University of Mississippi spokesman says retired chancellor Robert Khayat is hospitalized but improving.
Mitchell Diggs told The Clarion-Ledger on Monday that Khayat was admitted during the weekend to Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford.
He says he does not know what the 73-year-old attorney and former pro football player is being treated for, but says he is doing much better.
The hospital would not release any information about Khayat's condition.
Khayat retired in 2009 after leading Ole Miss for nearly 14 years. He was succeeded by current Chancellor Dan Jones.
Dean of Students Sparky Reardon says Khayat is someone who doesn't want a lot of attention.
1. Man shot on 7th Avenue Tuesday afternoon COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. City, store owner clash after Tuesday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Local pilot gets 10 months in British jail for alcohol COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. CPD makes arrest in Princess Theater shooting case COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Starkville aldermen sending potential case against former officer to DA's office STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY