December 21, 2011 4:27:00 PM
TUPELO -- The Tupelo Airport Authority has agreed to a $267,000 increase requested by the company building a runway extension.
Century Construction asked for the increase after losing access to its resource for "fill dirt."
Century bid around $5.2 million to extend the runway by 650 feet.
Century President Colin Maloney said the company lost access to a nearby dirt pit and now must drive a little further away to get the dirt.
Tupelo Airport Director Josh Abramson said the increase was capped at $267,000, expenses could be lower.
Officials said work should begin about mid-January and the project should take about seven months to complete.
Copyright 2011 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
1. MSMS teacher wins national award for math, science teachers COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Bud and Burgers event canceled COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Dudy Noble video board to serve as first step in renovation STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Oktibbeha road plan draft calls for $2M in work STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. MUW planning new culinary arts building COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY