December 21, 2011 4:27:00 PM
TUPELO -- The Tupelo Airport Authority has agreed to a $267,000 increase requested by the company building a runway extension.
Century Construction asked for the increase after losing access to its resource for "fill dirt."
Century bid around $5.2 million to extend the runway by 650 feet.
Century President Colin Maloney said the company lost access to a nearby dirt pit and now must drive a little further away to get the dirt.
Tupelo Airport Director Josh Abramson said the increase was capped at $267,000, expenses could be lower.
Officials said work should begin about mid-January and the project should take about seven months to complete.
Copyright 2011 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
1. Lowndes Narcotics Unit searching for 10 suspects COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. The accidental entrepreneurs STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Two arrested in Motel 6 robbery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Starkville man arrested for statutory rape COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. First Vote: A Dispatch special series COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY