December 21, 2011 4:27:00 PM
TUPELO -- The Tupelo Airport Authority has agreed to a $267,000 increase requested by the company building a runway extension.
Century Construction asked for the increase after losing access to its resource for "fill dirt."
Century bid around $5.2 million to extend the runway by 650 feet.
Century President Colin Maloney said the company lost access to a nearby dirt pit and now must drive a little further away to get the dirt.
Tupelo Airport Director Josh Abramson said the increase was capped at $267,000, expenses could be lower.
Officials said work should begin about mid-January and the project should take about seven months to complete.
Copyright 2011 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
1. Sheriff's office investigating former Caledonia teacher for sexual misconduct COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. New Hope senior, Ole Miss signee arrested for stealing guns COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Joint drug task force hits ground running COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Trainer: Wet N Wild deal unlikely until lake repairs are made STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Investigators looking into suspicious package delivered to Oby's STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY