December 27, 2011 2:37:00 PM
LAUREL -- A 64-year-old Jones County woman accused of abandoning more than 20 dogs in a home without proper care has surrendered to authorities.
WDAM TV reports Linda Walters has been charged with aggravated animal cruelty.
Authorities had issued a warrant for Walters last week in connection with the abandoning of the dogs in a home without enough food or water.
Neighbors did say that Walters would visit the home every couple of weeks.
Fifteen of the dogs were rescued and are being prepared for adoption at the Southern Pines Animal Shelter.
It was unclear whether Walters had an attorney.
Copyright 2011 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
1. West Point man arrested for firing shots outside Falcon Field during game COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Starkville weighing e-cigarette ban STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. CPD hopes more positive interactions will build trust between officers, citizens COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Annex demo could make way for courthouse expansion COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Fire displaces families in Brooksville Gardens STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY