December 27, 2011 2:37:00 PM
LAUREL -- A 64-year-old Jones County woman accused of abandoning more than 20 dogs in a home without proper care has surrendered to authorities.
WDAM TV reports Linda Walters has been charged with aggravated animal cruelty.
Authorities had issued a warrant for Walters last week in connection with the abandoning of the dogs in a home without enough food or water.
Neighbors did say that Walters would visit the home every couple of weeks.
Fifteen of the dogs were rescued and are being prepared for adoption at the Southern Pines Animal Shelter.
It was unclear whether Walters had an attorney.
Copyright 2011 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
1. Surrendering animals: A pet owner's last resort COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Man killed in weekend hit-and-run on Hwy 373 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus-Lowndes Airport searches for new operator after the last one stalls COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. LCSD Career Tech students do mock interviews with real employers COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Hamilton man arrested for carjacking COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY