December 27, 2011 2:37:00 PM
LAUREL -- A 64-year-old Jones County woman accused of abandoning more than 20 dogs in a home without proper care has surrendered to authorities.
WDAM TV reports Linda Walters has been charged with aggravated animal cruelty.
Authorities had issued a warrant for Walters last week in connection with the abandoning of the dogs in a home without enough food or water.
Neighbors did say that Walters would visit the home every couple of weeks.
Fifteen of the dogs were rescued and are being prepared for adoption at the Southern Pines Animal Shelter.
It was unclear whether Walters had an attorney.
Copyright 2011 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
1. Affidavits: West Point man allegedly bound male victim, raped female STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Area high school students earn national scholarships COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Weyerhaeuser to sell Columbus mills COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. 'Music 4 U' launching in Miss. this month COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. 12 county, city officials miss financial disclosure deadline STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY