January 1, 2012 8:49:00 PM
By Ronnie Thomas
Decatur Daily News
ATHENS, Ala. -- Tragedy struck New Year's Day in East Limestone when a 10-year-old girl from Starkville, Miss., died while driving a go-kart.
Troopers identified the girl as Laura Carson. Troopers said she crashed into the back of an unoccupied parked vehicle at 1:15 p.m. on Mahalo Circle, west of Mooresville Road and south of U.S. 72, about 100 feet from the Athens city limits. Troopers said she was not wearing a helmet.
Carson later died at Athens-Limestone Hospital. A hospital spokeswoman said emergency room doctors pronounced her dead.
Carson was a sixth-grader at Armstrong Middle School. She was the daughter of Jennifer and Lee Carson.
1. Steens woman dies in Lowndes Co. wreck COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Lowndes Co. child dies after weekend crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Is Cracker Barrel coming to Columbus? COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. CMSD introduces after school program COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. CMSD invests $2M in district's athletic facilities COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY