January 1, 2012 8:49:00 PM
By Ronnie Thomas
Decatur Daily News
ATHENS, Ala. -- Tragedy struck New Year's Day in East Limestone when a 10-year-old girl from Starkville, Miss., died while driving a go-kart.
Troopers identified the girl as Laura Carson. Troopers said she crashed into the back of an unoccupied parked vehicle at 1:15 p.m. on Mahalo Circle, west of Mooresville Road and south of U.S. 72, about 100 feet from the Athens city limits. Troopers said she was not wearing a helmet.
Carson later died at Athens-Limestone Hospital. A hospital spokeswoman said emergency room doctors pronounced her dead.
Carson was a sixth-grader at Armstrong Middle School. She was the daughter of Jennifer and Lee Carson.
1. CMSD funding request alarms mayor, council COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Early College High School grows in second year COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Mother arrested after newborn tests positive for drugs STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. CPD officer on paid leave after fight COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. 'World Changers' serves Golden Triangle for third year COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY