January 3, 2012 12:46:00 PM
JACKSON -- A hard freeze warning has been issued for parts south Mississippi and shelters have been opened to keep residents warm and safe.
The National Weather Service said the warning would be in effect from late Tuesday night through Wednesday morning for parts of coastal Mississippi, where temperatures were expected to dip into the mid-20s overnight.
Officials in Harrison County announced that emergency shelters were to be open from Tuesday afternoon to Wednesday morning in Gulfport and D'Iberville.
Forecasters say this could be one of the coldest nights of the season in the area and issued the hard freeze warning from the Mississippi coast to north of Lake Pontchartrain in Louisiana.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
1. Historic Columbus depot has a buyer COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. CMSD board buys new books COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. A year in, is J5 Broaddus saving Columbus money? COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Lowndes man found guilty of manslaughter COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. CAFB instructor killed in Texas crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY