January 3, 2012 12:46:00 PM
JACKSON -- A hard freeze warning has been issued for parts south Mississippi and shelters have been opened to keep residents warm and safe.
The National Weather Service said the warning would be in effect from late Tuesday night through Wednesday morning for parts of coastal Mississippi, where temperatures were expected to dip into the mid-20s overnight.
Officials in Harrison County announced that emergency shelters were to be open from Tuesday afternoon to Wednesday morning in Gulfport and D'Iberville.
Forecasters say this could be one of the coldest nights of the season in the area and issued the hard freeze warning from the Mississippi coast to north of Lake Pontchartrain in Louisiana.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
1. Story of Columbus teen on death row airs on Headline News COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. A house to love: The Haven, historic downtown home, passes to new ownership COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Future of Ryan's uncertain COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. SFD investigating Walmart fire as arson STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Restaurant tax: Smith, Younger agree on reducing restaurant tax floor COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY