January 4, 2012 3:35:00 PM
SOUTHAVEN -- The Southaven Board of Aldermen said the vast majority of the $44,000 worth of receipts that they have been reviewing from Mayor Greg Davis' expenses were not city-related business.
During Tuesday's board meeting, The Commercial Appeal reports aldermen said they personally took the results of their review of the receipts to Mississippi Auditor Stacey Pickering's office last week in Jackson.
Alderman Ronnie Hale said out of the 500 pages of documents they reviewed, he only accepted six receipts as city business.
State auditors, who have demanded that Davis repay more than $170,000 in expenses, penalties and interest to the city, asked aldermen to review receipts the mayor submitted in an effort to reduce the repayment amount.
Davis has already repaid to the state $96,000. He still owes $74,000.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
1. Spears: CMSD tax hike unnecessary COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Higgins: $150 million project eying Lowndes Port COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. CPD officer involved in fight to go before city council COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. MSU horticulture student gains experience at Smith Landscaping COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Two sessions planned on proposed tax increases COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY