January 4, 2012 3:35:00 PM
SOUTHAVEN -- The Southaven Board of Aldermen said the vast majority of the $44,000 worth of receipts that they have been reviewing from Mayor Greg Davis' expenses were not city-related business.
During Tuesday's board meeting, The Commercial Appeal reports aldermen said they personally took the results of their review of the receipts to Mississippi Auditor Stacey Pickering's office last week in Jackson.
Alderman Ronnie Hale said out of the 500 pages of documents they reviewed, he only accepted six receipts as city business.
State auditors, who have demanded that Davis repay more than $170,000 in expenses, penalties and interest to the city, asked aldermen to review receipts the mayor submitted in an effort to reduce the repayment amount.
Davis has already repaid to the state $96,000. He still owes $74,000.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
1. Cattleman's: Open for business COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Columbus remembers Jimmy Garton, a man of many titles COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Benefit for father-son crash victims this weekend COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Demonstration school seeks statewide impact STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Romney speaks at MSU, still undeclared for 2016 STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY