January 5, 2012 11:01:00 AM
A fire broke out in Lowndes County on Tuesday night and destroyed the home of a former Columbus police officer.
District 2 Lowndes County volunteer firefighters were dispatched at around 9:15 p.m. to 184 Wenonah Drive. The house, just off Jess Lyons Road, belongs to retired Columbus Police Lt. John Pevey.
District 2 volunteer firefighter George Nonamaker was first to respond to the fire and said once he arrived on scene the "whole back wall had already burnt through." The back of the mobile home has a large gaping hole from the fire.
"I was out of town hunting," Pevey said. "My wife (Pamela Pevey) was inside, my grandson (Steven Pevey, 12) was inside, two daughters (Britanie Spurr, 24, and Tiffany Pevey, 14) were inside and my granddaughter (Jocelyn Spurr, 16 months) was inside."
Everyone escaped the fire safely, Pevey said, and some things might be salvageable.
"In Steven's room and Tiffany's room the door was closed, so it kept the heat and fire out of it but didn't keep the smoke out of it. So now we're dealing with smoke on the clothes," he said.
According to Nonamaker, the house was destroyed. The blaze started in the back of the house and was accidental, Nonamaker said, noting he does not want to release a cause. Pevey said it might have started from something in the fireplace and then the grass outside caught fire, followed by a lawn mower sitting outside behind the home.
Firefighters were on scene for around two hours, and two pumpers and two tankers responded.
Pevey said he and his family are staying at his daughter, Ashley's, home.
"We have a big family so we're trying to decide on the best plan," he said.
The fire rekindled this morning at around 8:15 a.m. in the back of the mobile home, but Nonamaker said it was just a hot spot that was not fully involved.
Pevey retired over the summer then ran unsuccessfully as a Democrat for Lowndes County sheriff.
1. Post-It notes latest attack in neigborhood prank war COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. MUW's Nepali students gather after earthquake COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Leigh Mall under pressure to repave COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Newman, like his father, will wear maroon and white STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY