May 19, 2009
Voters in Starkville and West Point are heading to the polls today to decide run-offs for mayor and council seats.
In Starkville, voters are choosing a Democratic candidate for mayor, between current council member Matt Cox and attorney Parker Wiseman. The winner will face Republican Marnita Henderson in the June 2 general election.
In West Point, several selectmen seats are up for grabs, including a challenge to longtime Ward 1 selectman Linda Hannah, who has served for the past 16 years. Hannah is facing first-time candidate Rod Bobo, a sales representative for Mitchell Automotive, who received 42 percent of the vote compare to Hannah''s 35 percent in the primary.
Runoff elections are called when no candidate receives 50-percent-plus-one of the vote in the general primary. The two candidates who receive the highest percentage of the vote face one another in the runoff.
Polls are open until 7 p.m.
1. MUW janitor faces child molestation charge COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Columbus man arrested on kidnapping, sexual assault charges COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Hump Day chaos sends Columbus cops scrambling COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Police: Columbus man pulled knife on woman, rammed car COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Kitchens expected to rule on Gibbs case COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY