May 20, 2009
A Columbus man charged with capital murder in the 2008 shooting death of another Lowndes County man will face trial in the next Lowndes County session of 16th Circuit Court, in August. His trial -- set to begin today -- has been continued.
Charlton Aaron Colom, then 31, of 291 Sherman Circle, is charged with the December 2008 murder of 25-year-old Michael Gordon.
Officers believe the shooting happened after Colom knocked on Gordon''s door at 111 Bill Walker Road, at about 2:30 a.m. on Dec. 9, entered the residence and shot him once in the upper body.
The suspect fled the scene; Gordon was pronounced dead on arrival to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle.
1. Last two antebellum homes in Starkville for sale; one could be torn down STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. MDOT unveils Highway 82 interchange improvements COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Sheriff: New deputy hires will expand shift coverage STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Letting out their 'inner geek': Second Columbus Comic Con bigger, better than last year COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Council approves $232K in employee raises COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY