January 1, 1900
OKTIBBEHA COUNTY -- A family of four was displaced from their home Friday after a mid-morning fire gutted their kitchen.
Adaton and Maben volunteer firefighters responded to the fire at 1945 Polly Bell Road in the Adaton community at 10:30 a.m. Firefighters found the kitchen of the mobile home engulfed by flames but quickly extinguished the fire, said Fire Services Coordinator Kirk Rosenhan.
The fire originated from the stove, the second such fire in the county in a week. The home isn't habitable until repairs are made, Rosenhan said.
The family is being assisted with personal items and lodging by the Oktibbeha-Starkville Emergency Response Volunteer Service.
Heat and smoke damaged other parts of the trailer.
Rosenhan said kitchen fires are more common in trailers are more common than tradition homes.
"It's just the way they're built," Rosenhan said. "There's not as much Sheetrock, a lot more wood paneling. And the way the framing is set, it just catches fire much quicker."
1. Local pilot gets 10 months in British jail for alcohol COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Mother of downtown shooting suspect jailed for allegedly threatening witness COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. City: Law supports slashing businesses' hours COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Little: Aldermen 'overreach' in handling officer incident STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Perception and reality: Downtown business owners grapple with fallout from shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY