January 18, 2012 1:23:00 PM
COLUMBIA -- A 13-year-old Columbia student was hit by a car while trying to cross a street after getting off a school bus.
Columbia Police Chief Jim Kinslow told WDAM-TV that the 7th grader was transported Tuesday afternoon to Marion General Hospital for treatment. Kinslow says his injuries did not appear to be life threatening.
Kinslow says the driver of the car, 21-year-old Jasper Mckinney, was arrested at the scene. Authorities say Mckinney already had outstanding warrants for grand larceny and now faces additional felony charges under "Nathan's Law."
The law was passed to honor the memory of Nathan Key, a 5-year-old boy, of Laurel, who died when a motorist disregarded a stopped school bus on Dec. 11, 2009, and illegally passed the bus Key was exiting.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
1. Father of parking lot shooting victim speaks out COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Teen arrested and charged with capital murder, arson COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus, Starkville ranked among state's most exciting cities COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Mayor, city employee raises rescinded COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. New leadership at local Boys and Girls clubs COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY