January 18, 2012 1:23:00 PM
COLUMBIA -- A 13-year-old Columbia student was hit by a car while trying to cross a street after getting off a school bus.
Columbia Police Chief Jim Kinslow told WDAM-TV that the 7th grader was transported Tuesday afternoon to Marion General Hospital for treatment. Kinslow says his injuries did not appear to be life threatening.
Kinslow says the driver of the car, 21-year-old Jasper Mckinney, was arrested at the scene. Authorities say Mckinney already had outstanding warrants for grand larceny and now faces additional felony charges under "Nathan's Law."
The law was passed to honor the memory of Nathan Key, a 5-year-old boy, of Laurel, who died when a motorist disregarded a stopped school bus on Dec. 11, 2009, and illegally passed the bus Key was exiting.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
1. Early College High School grows in second year COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Mother arrested after newborn tests positive for drugs STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. CPD officer on paid leave after fight COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Fire destroys New Light Road home STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. 'Programming is problem solving': Local senior conducts STEM camp for girls COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY