January 19, 2012 12:24:00 PM
A Columbus woman charged with murder had a six-figure bond set Tuesday.
Police have charged Kalmesha Denise Jackson, 23, of 810 Eighth St. S. in Columbus, with murder. Jackson was sitting in the driver's seat of her Chevrolet Malibu early Sunday morning and was playing with a gun when it discharged, she told police.
Marquez Kentrel Carter, 23, of 1147 Tabernacle Road in Columbus, was sitting in the passenger's seat. He was shot in the head and died later Sunday morning at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle.
Columbus Municipal Judge Nicole Clinkscales set Jackson's bond at $100,000. Jackson is being held at the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center.
The incident occurred at 1320 Second Ave. N., two blocks from the police station.
Jared Rashad Reed was sitting in the back seat of the vehicle when the gun discharged. Reed, 23, of 1006 Fourth St. S. in Columbus, fled the scene, said Raymond Hackler, an investigator with the Columbus Police Department.
Reed, who was wanted on an outstanding contempt-of-court warrant, turned himself in to police Monday afternoon. However, he has not been charged for anything related to the shooting incident.
1. CAFB pilots released from hospital after crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Trio gets 40 years for pizza delivery robberies COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Check warns Oktibbeha County 'not big enough' for two ambulance services STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Man faces assault charge for Columbus shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Three finalists picked for CMSD superintendent job COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY