January 19, 2012 12:34:00 PM
Police responded to Kermit Street for a call of shots fired, but the incident turned into a drug arrest.
A 911 call came in about 9:50 p.m. Monday reporting shots fired at 207 Kermit St. in East Columbus. Officers responded and, after checking inside the dwelling to see if the occupants were OK, "could smell marijuana inside the house," Columbus-Lowndes Narcotics Unit agent Don Richardson said.
One occupant admitted to the officer that drugs were inside and showed the officer where they were located. Richardson classified it as a "large amount of marijuana" but said he does not know the exact weight yet. It is more than 1 ounce and a felony amount, Richardson said.
Dekario Lamonte Brewer, 18, of 207 Kermit St. was arrested at the residence and charged for possession of a controlled substance. Bond was set at $10,000, and the initial court date is not set.
Richardson said the shooting was a drive-by and the residence had holes in the door.
"They were investigating something else, and this turns up. They got consent to search from the homeowner and the person who lives in that room."
1. Dog gives his life protecting child from rattlesnake COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. 2 dead in Oktibbeha County car crash STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. MSU blue-chip guard popped for DUI STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. CPD welcomes 11 new officers to force COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Reclaiming the past: Local businessman making living selling salvaged material for new construction COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY