February 2, 2012 10:39:00 AM
GTR Airport receives regional FAA Award
The Golden Triangle Regional Airport has been awarded the 2011 FAA Air Carrier Airport Safety Award for the Southern Region. Doug Murphy, the FAA Southern Region administrator, presented the award to GTRA Executive Director Mike Hainsey at a recent Southern Region conference in Atlanta.
The Air Carrier Airport Safety Award is given annually and recognizes airports that have taken actions, instituted programs or otherwise operated in such a manner deserving of special recognition for improving airport safety. Selection is based on the development or implementation of a specific program or activity, or other special and unique accomplishments, involving the operation of an air carrier airport that resulted in enhanced safety. The FAA cited the work done during the runway extension, efforts to reduce wildlife habitat, and a project to improve lighting and access in the terminal parking lot as examples of the safety efforts by the airport.
"I'm extremely proud of our people here at GTR," Hainsey stated. "Safety has always been our top priority. This award is a result of a team effort by airport staff, air traffic controllers, airline employees, engineers, contractors and all that work at the airport."
1. West Point man arrested for firing shots outside Falcon Field during game COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Starkville weighing e-cigarette ban STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. CPD hopes more positive interactions will build trust between officers, citizens COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Annex demo could make way for courthouse expansion COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Fire displaces families in Brooksville Gardens STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY