May 22, 2009
The body of a teenager missing since May 15 was recovered around 7:30 this morning, Monroe County Coroner Alan Gurley confirmed. The body was discovered around 6:41 a.m.
Dive teams and other authorities have been searching for Taylor Smith, 15, of Smithville, in the Buttahatchie River in Monroe County, for 18 hours a day since his disappearance.
A 44-year-old Itawamba County Dive Team member lost his life Wednesday during the search for the missing teen.
David Sheffield, of 512 Dalton Road in Tupelo, was pronounced dead on arrival at about 1:15 p.m. Wednesday at the Pioneer Community Hospital in Aberdeen.
Other agencies searching for the teen have been the Columbus Fire and Rescue Dive Team, the DeSoto County Sheriff''s Department Search and Rescue Team, the Lamar County, Ala., Emergency Management Agency, the Monroe County Search and Rescue and Dive teams, the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, and several local volunteers.
Jeffery Harris commented at 11/5/2009 12:48:00 PM:
keep me updated.
1. West Point PD makes third arrest in August altercation COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Lowndes awaits same-sex marriage ruling COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Mill development on pace for June completion STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Investigators: August murder victim beaten, stabbed COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Deck collapse could prompt county building code discussions STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY