February 28, 2012 10:32:00 AM
JACKSON -- A Madison County Chancery Court trial on the city of Canton's petition to annex the Nissan North American plant has been postponed until June of 2013.
Canton and Nissan are also in federal court over legislation approved in 2000 that prohibits the city from annexing the plant for 30 years without the automaker's written consent. The city says the law violates the equal protection clauses of the U.S. and state constitutions. Trial is set for August in that case.
The Clarion-Ledger reports that Canton officials say the annexation should increase the population from 13,189 to about 18,000.
Nissan agreed to make payments in lieu of taxes to the Canton school district and to Madison County.
Nissan has operated the $1.4 billion Canton plant since May 2003.
1. MSMS teacher wins national award for math, science teachers COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Bud and Burgers event canceled COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Oktibbeha road plan draft calls for $2M in work STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. MUW planning new culinary arts building COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Dudy Noble video board to serve as first step in renovation STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY