February 28, 2012 10:32:00 AM
JACKSON -- A Madison County Chancery Court trial on the city of Canton's petition to annex the Nissan North American plant has been postponed until June of 2013.
Canton and Nissan are also in federal court over legislation approved in 2000 that prohibits the city from annexing the plant for 30 years without the automaker's written consent. The city says the law violates the equal protection clauses of the U.S. and state constitutions. Trial is set for August in that case.
The Clarion-Ledger reports that Canton officials say the annexation should increase the population from 13,189 to about 18,000.
Nissan agreed to make payments in lieu of taxes to the Canton school district and to Madison County.
Nissan has operated the $1.4 billion Canton plant since May 2003.
1. Father of woman charged with providing New Hope teen alcohol speaks out COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Hilton: Hospital report filled with misleading data STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Accident leads to numerous charges for Starkville man STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Columbus honors four outstanding citizens COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. City hires public defender for Municipal Court COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY