February 28, 2012 10:32:00 AM
JACKSON -- A Madison County Chancery Court trial on the city of Canton's petition to annex the Nissan North American plant has been postponed until June of 2013.
Canton and Nissan are also in federal court over legislation approved in 2000 that prohibits the city from annexing the plant for 30 years without the automaker's written consent. The city says the law violates the equal protection clauses of the U.S. and state constitutions. Trial is set for August in that case.
The Clarion-Ledger reports that Canton officials say the annexation should increase the population from 13,189 to about 18,000.
Nissan agreed to make payments in lieu of taxes to the Canton school district and to Madison County.
Nissan has operated the $1.4 billion Canton plant since May 2003.
1. CAFB pilots released from hospital after crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Three finalists announced for CMSD superintendent spot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Five arrested in suspected fraud operation COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Ex-Columbus-Lowndes Airport manager arrested for embezzlement COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Starkville could settle Pride lawsuit this week STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY