February 28, 2012 10:32:00 AM
JACKSON -- A Madison County Chancery Court trial on the city of Canton's petition to annex the Nissan North American plant has been postponed until June of 2013.
Canton and Nissan are also in federal court over legislation approved in 2000 that prohibits the city from annexing the plant for 30 years without the automaker's written consent. The city says the law violates the equal protection clauses of the U.S. and state constitutions. Trial is set for August in that case.
The Clarion-Ledger reports that Canton officials say the annexation should increase the population from 13,189 to about 18,000.
Nissan agreed to make payments in lieu of taxes to the Canton school district and to Madison County.
Nissan has operated the $1.4 billion Canton plant since May 2003.
1. West Point man arrested for firing shots outside Falcon Field during game COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Starkville weighing e-cigarette ban STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. CPD hopes more positive interactions will build trust between officers, citizens COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Annex demo could make way for courthouse expansion COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Fire displaces families in Brooksville Gardens STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY