May 28, 2009
The Internal Revenue Service recently released new withholding adjustment procedures for pension plans. In February, the IRS issued revised withholding tables incorporating the Making Work Pay Tax Credit. The new procedure for pensions will make withholding more accurate for pension recipients.
The change will help some pensioners avoid a smaller refund next spring or even a balance due in limited situations. A wide variety of factors, such as outside jobs and other earned income, can affect how much, if any, withholding is needed by people receiving a pension to satisfy their annual tax liability. The optional adjustment procedure which may be used by those paying pensions is available in Notice 1036-P, Additional Withholding for Pensions for 2009.
Pension payers are not required to use this new procedure and may continue to use only the February 2009 withholding tables.
For more information visit IRS.gov. Taxpayers and payers can download forms and publications from IRS.gov or request a free copy by calling toll free 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).
1. CRA distances itself from Realtor's 'threatening' letters to Burns Bottom property owners COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Developer agrees to purchase Lee for $450K COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Dispatch earns 16 Press Association awards COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. 'This is a place for miracles': Church formerly on the brink of condemnation celebrates fresh start STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Greco joins Dispatch as government reporter COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY