May 28, 2009
The Internal Revenue Service recently released new withholding adjustment procedures for pension plans. In February, the IRS issued revised withholding tables incorporating the Making Work Pay Tax Credit. The new procedure for pensions will make withholding more accurate for pension recipients.
The change will help some pensioners avoid a smaller refund next spring or even a balance due in limited situations. A wide variety of factors, such as outside jobs and other earned income, can affect how much, if any, withholding is needed by people receiving a pension to satisfy their annual tax liability. The optional adjustment procedure which may be used by those paying pensions is available in Notice 1036-P, Additional Withholding for Pensions for 2009.
Pension payers are not required to use this new procedure and may continue to use only the February 2009 withholding tables.
For more information visit IRS.gov. Taxpayers and payers can download forms and publications from IRS.gov or request a free copy by calling toll free 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).
1. Armyworms ravaging yards, pastures COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Holloway convicted on simple assault charges STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Golden Triangle native asks for children's books to restock Baton Rouge library COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Missing Starkville woman returns home STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Property re-appraisals show stability in real estate market COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY