March 3, 2012 10:14:00 PM
WINSTON COUNTY -- Two Winston County men were arrested Thursday for manufacturing and selling moonshine.
Agents from the Mississippi Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control executed a search warrant at the residence of P.E. Graham, at 305 Goldman Road in Noxapater.
Agents seized 40 gallons of moonshine and 300 pounds of sugar.
A search also took place at a second property owned by Graham at 12900 Highway 25 in Noxapater.
A six-barrel distillery, along with 300 gallons of rye mash and a 150-gallon stainless steel cooker were seized, and the still was destroyed.
Graham has charges pending for possession of an illicit distillery and possession of non-tax paid whiskey (moonshine).
J.W. "Dub" Woods, of 6938 Mars Hill Road in Philadelphia, was also arrested on charges related to the manufacture and sale of moonshine whiskey.
Woods was arrested for two counts of sale of non-tax paid whiskey resulting from purchases made by an undercover agent. Additionally, he was charged with possession of non-tax paid whiskey (moonshine), resulting from search warrants executed at his residence. Woods was transported to Winston County Jail and held pending bond.
The investigation continues, and police say more arrests are possible.
1. Dead bald eagle found in Columbus appears to have been shot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. 'Stan the Man' retires COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Boys and Girls Club ready for first off-site program COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Consultant brings fresh eyes to short-staffed CPD COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. 2 MSU employees apply for Turner's school board seat STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY