March 8, 2012 10:49:16 AM
Texas men arrested in connection with a $1 million drug bust are waiting to be transported to Oxford where they will face federal charges.
Silviano Tinoco Nieto, 30, of 1708 Bunkerhill #145, Dallas, Texas and Gerardo Ortiz Mendez, 31, of 2409 Pine Lake Cir. #235, Austin, Texas, were arrested Tuesday and charged with possession of cocaine, following a raid on a home they were renting at 1601 College St.
In the raid, five kilograms of cocaine, valued at $1 million, were seized.
Bond was denied for Nieto and Mendez, pending their initial appearance in U.S. District Court in Oxford. They remain in custody at the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center.
The home was raided by a multi-agency task force, including the Lowndes County Sheriff's Office, the Columbus Police Department and the Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics. The 1500 block of College Street was closed for more than an hour as agents searched the home.
Arrests reported by the Lowndes County Sheriff's Office and the Columbus Police Department this week include:
1. Man shot on 7th Avenue Tuesday afternoon COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. City, store owner clash after Tuesday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Mayor seeks moratorium at Princess COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Lawyers, adviser crafting RFP for Oktibbeha's hospital STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. CPD makes arrest in Princess Theater shooting case COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY