March 8, 2012 10:49:16 AM
Texas men arrested in connection with a $1 million drug bust are waiting to be transported to Oxford where they will face federal charges.
Silviano Tinoco Nieto, 30, of 1708 Bunkerhill #145, Dallas, Texas and Gerardo Ortiz Mendez, 31, of 2409 Pine Lake Cir. #235, Austin, Texas, were arrested Tuesday and charged with possession of cocaine, following a raid on a home they were renting at 1601 College St.
In the raid, five kilograms of cocaine, valued at $1 million, were seized.
Bond was denied for Nieto and Mendez, pending their initial appearance in U.S. District Court in Oxford. They remain in custody at the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center.
The home was raided by a multi-agency task force, including the Lowndes County Sheriff's Office, the Columbus Police Department and the Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics. The 1500 block of College Street was closed for more than an hour as agents searched the home.
Arrests reported by the Lowndes County Sheriff's Office and the Columbus Police Department this week include:
1. Gregory resigns from Partnership leadership position STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Columbus police department prepares house of horrors COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus police seek bank fraud suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Leroy Brooks pushes county pay raises COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Are ghosts haunting the Golden Triangle? COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY