March 8, 2012 10:49:16 AM
Texas men arrested in connection with a $1 million drug bust are waiting to be transported to Oxford where they will face federal charges.
Silviano Tinoco Nieto, 30, of 1708 Bunkerhill #145, Dallas, Texas and Gerardo Ortiz Mendez, 31, of 2409 Pine Lake Cir. #235, Austin, Texas, were arrested Tuesday and charged with possession of cocaine, following a raid on a home they were renting at 1601 College St.
In the raid, five kilograms of cocaine, valued at $1 million, were seized.
Bond was denied for Nieto and Mendez, pending their initial appearance in U.S. District Court in Oxford. They remain in custody at the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center.
The home was raided by a multi-agency task force, including the Lowndes County Sheriff's Office, the Columbus Police Department and the Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics. The 1500 block of College Street was closed for more than an hour as agents searched the home.
Arrests reported by the Lowndes County Sheriff's Office and the Columbus Police Department this week include:
1. Man killed in Thanksgiving shooting outside Trotter COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Slimantics: 110-year-old poster a memento of legendary MSU-Ole Miss game COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Council suspends CPD officer COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Man arrested for sex with 13-year-old STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Getting back to normal: One of MSU's most recognizable faces opens up about his fight with cancer STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY