March 10, 2012 9:55:00 PM
Columbus' Sears store will close April 29.
In December, Sears Holding Corp. announced the Columbus store is one of three in the state to be closed, due to poor profit performance. Stores in Jackson and McComb, as well as 100 to 120 Sears and Kmart stores across the country, were also announced for closure. Kmart is owned by Sears Holdings Corp.
Sears Holding Corp. earlier had not announced closing dates, but signage now on the Columbus store dates the close of the business in Columbus.
The Columbus store occupies about 41,000 square feet and was one of Leigh Mall's original tenants when the mall opened in 1973.
1. CAFB pilots released from hospital after crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Trio gets 40 years for pizza delivery robberies COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Check warns Oktibbeha County 'not big enough' for two ambulance services STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Man faces assault charge for Columbus shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Three finalists picked for CMSD superintendent job COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY