March 22, 2012 10:23:07 AM
A couple of Lowndes County businesses have been recognized for supporting their employees, who are in service to the country.
American Eurocopter and Severstal were nominated for the 2012 Secretary of Defense Employer Support Freedom Award by the Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve, a Department of Defense agency.
Lowndes County Board of Supervisors President and District 1 Supervisor Harry Sanders noted the recognition reflects the quality of the companies.
"This is another indication of the quality of industry we have recruited in Lowndes County," Sanders said. "It's a wonderful thing for these companies to support the men and women of the National Guard and Reserves. American Eurocopter is a foreign-owned company, but yet they are committed to the security of the U.S. and Lowndes County."
American Eurocopter also was praised by Gov. Phil Bryant for a commitment to veterans and members of the Guard and Reserves. Bryant said 53 percent of American Eurocopter's work force consists of members of the U.S. military.
And Department of Defense officials said nearly half of the U.S. military is comprised of the Guard and Reserve and noted Freedom Award recipients go above and beyond what is required by law.
The winners will be announced this summer and honored in Washington, D.C. on September 20, at the 17th annual Freedom Award Ceremony.
1. Starkville moms embark on project that looks through the lens of autism STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. CPD investigates northside shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Former CIA operative urges citizen engagement COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. One killed, one severely injured in house fire COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. After nearly disappearing, local meth arrests make comeback COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY