The 2012 Mississippi State University Outdoor Band Concert is set for Tuesday, April 17, at 4:30 p.m. on the Drill Field on campus. Two other free concerts are scheduled for Sunday, April 15. Photo by: Courtesy photo/University Relations
April 12, 2012 9:45:51 AM
April's three free concerts, held by the Mississippi State University music department, make the month a busy one for music lovers.
On Sunday, April 15, the Starkville/MSU Community Band, the Symphonic Band and the Campus Band perform at 2 p.m. in McComas Hall on campus. The concert will be directed by Cliff Taylor and Craig Aarhus, both associate directors of the MSU Band. The concert will include music by Norman Dello Joio, Frank Ticheli, James Curnow, and Giuseppe Verdi, to name a few.
The Wind Ensemble also will hold a concert Sunday at 5 p.m. in McComas Hall. Elva Kaye Lance, MSU director of bands, will conduct.
"The performance offers a wide variety of music that includes something for all," Lance said.
The concert will feature works by such well-known composers as Aram Khachaturian, Isaac Albeniz and Hector Berlioz, as well as contemporary composers Philip Sparke, Satoshi Yagisawa and Toshio Mashima.
The Outdoor Band Concert will be Tuesday, April 17, at 4:30 p.m. on the Drill Field in front of the Swalm Chemical Engineering building. The performance will be directed by Taylor, along with student conductors.
For information on the various performing groups, visit msuband.msstate.edu/ensembles.php.
1. Columbus police make arrest in April shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Builder of houses and people: Caledonia builder, Realtor dies at age 89 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. CLW eyes rate, customer surcharge hikes for electric COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Rick Young returns as EMCC interim president COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Parks partners with SOCSD for joint use of facilities STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY